February-9th-2012, 12:39 PM
Jacksonville Jazz Fest - May 24-27
Mayor Alvin Brown announced today an exciting lineup of activities for the 2012 Jacksonville Jazz Festival. The annual tradition will be held on Thursday, May 24 - Sunday, May 27.
“The Jacksonville Jazz Festival helps to promote a greater quality of life by drawing thousands of people to our Downtown,” said Mayor Brown. “This is the perfect opportunity for families and groups of friends to gather, take in performances, enjoy a stroll along our treasured St. Johns River and feel the heartbeat of our city’s urban center.”
Some of this year’s confirmed performers include Sonny Rollins; Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White Trio; Patti Austin with the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra; Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue; Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band featuring Terence Blanchard; and Karrin Allyson.
Additional performers and festival details will continue to be announced in the coming months through the festival’s Facebook page (Facebook.com/JacksonvilleJazzFestival), Twitter (www.Twitter.com/JaxJazzFest) andJaxJazzFest.com.
This year’s festival will continue the tradition of jazz in Jacksonville with a variety of jazz genres and featured activities in the heart of downtown Jacksonville. Special components include Art in the Heart Downtown, a juried art show and sale, and the Wine Down/Brew Town Tasting Experience featuring a variety of fine wines and craft beers. Other activities include the Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition presented by Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs, ‘Round Midnight Jazz Jams, Generation Next Youth Talent Competition, jazz brunch, exhibits and displays. The Jacksonville Jazz Festival is free and open to the public unless otherwise listed.
“Experience Jazz” Package $240 (plus service charges)
Valid all festival days May 24 - 27
Exclusive access to an upfront preferred seating area during all festival days (limited; first-come, first-served) at The Florida Theatre for the Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition presented by Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs (Thursday), and performances on the Swingin’ stage presented by the Jacksonville Aviation Authority, Breezin’ stage and the Groovin’ stage on Friday - Sunday
· A ticket to the Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition on Thursday, May 24
· A ticket to the Sunday Jazz Brunch at the Omni Jacksonville Hotel, the official co-host hotel of the Jacksonville Jazz Festival
· Wine Down / Brew Town Tasting Experience ticket (includes a commemorative glass and 6 tastes of featured wines or craft beers)
· Commemorative lanyard and VIP credential
· 2012 commemorative poster, signed and numbered by the artist
· Six drink tickets to be redeemed at festival beverage booths
· Commemorative lapel pin
· Commemorative event program, which may be picked up at the Official Jacksonville Jazz Festival Merchandise Store, 303 North Laura Street
· Merchandise coupon for official Jacksonville Jazz Festival merchandise
· Keepsake bag
· Discounts at participating downtown businesses
· Special reserved parking for all festival days is also available for purchase for an additional $15 for “Experience Jazz” VIP Package purchasers (first-come, first-served).
Seating areas will be limited in size, and access may become unavailable, if necessary, to keep the space from exceeding legal capacity. First-come, first-served. Chairs will be provided. Outside chairs and umbrellas will not be permitted.
Preferred Seating Day Passes
· Friday, May 25: $60 in advance/$70 day of show
· Saturday, May 26 & Sunday May 27: $70 per day in advance/$80 per day, day of show
· Exclusive access to an upfront viewing environment with preferred seating during all festival days (limited; first-come, first-served) at The Florida Theatre for the Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition presented by Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs (Thursday), and performances on the Swingin’ stage presented by the Jacksonville Aviation Authority, Breezin’ stage and the Groovin’ stage on Friday - Sunday.
Seating areas will be limited in size, and access may become unavailable, if necessary, to keep the space from exceeding legal capacity. First-come, first-served.
Jazz Festival Components and Highlights
Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition
Presented by Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs
The Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition will feature five talented jazz pianists who will showcase their talents for cash prizes and the opportunity to perform during the festival on Saturday, May 28. Applications are available now at JaxJazzFest.com and the postmark deadline for entries is March 12.
Thursday, May 24
· 7 p.m. (Doors at 6 p.m.)
· The Florida Theatre
· Tickets: $10 (plus service charges)
· VisitJaxJazzFest.com for updates on ticket sales
Art in the Heart Downtown Juried Art Show & Sale
During the festival, browse through the works of talented artists and master craftspeople. Applications are now available for fine artists and craftspeople for the 2012 show. Visit JaxJazzFest.com for applications and the postmark deadline is April 2.
· Adams Street from Laura to Main streets
· Free admission
· Friday, May 25, 5 - 10 p.m., Judging 6 - 7 p.m.
· Saturday, May 26, 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
· Sunday, May 27, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wine Down/Brew Town Tasting Experience
Enjoy the tasteful complement to the displays of art and the sounds of jazz during the festival.
· Laura Street between Monroe and Duval streets
o Friday, May 25, 6 - 9 p.m.
o Saturday, May 26, 4 - 9 p.m.
o Sunday, May 27, 2 - 6 p.m.
o $20 (includes 10 tastes of featured wines or craft beers and a complimentary glass)
o Six additional tastes can be purchased for $10.
o Tickets can be purchased at point of entry.
Generation Next Youth Talent Competition
Jazz musicians and vocalists ages 7 - 21 are encouraged to audition for the 4th annual Generation Next Youth Talent Competition, a live talent showcase during the Jacksonville Jazz Festival. Contestants will be judged by a panel of music industry adjudicators who specialize in the fields of traditional and contemporary jazz and blues art forms. The winner will receive a savings bond to be used to further his or her music education. Complete information and applications are available at JaxJazzFest.com.
o Saturday, April 14
o 2 - 5 p.m.
o Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs
o Saturday, May 26
o Breezin’ Stage (The Jacksonville Landing)
Jazz Dinner Cruise presented by Jax River Cruises
· Saturday, May 26
· Downtown Riverfront
· Visit JaxJazzFest.com for updates