April-30th-2012, 09:07 AM
Judge dismisses lawsuit over Grammy cuts
A lawsuit filed against the Recording Academy over its decision to trim the Grammy Award categories from 109 to 78 has been dismissed.
The motion last week by New York State Supreme Court Justice Jeffrey Oing granted the Academy's motion to reject a lawsuit by Grammy-nominated jazz musician Bobby Sanabria and three others. Sanabria had been the loudest opponent of the Academy's decision last year to reduce its categories and fold some genres into larger fields.
In an interview Sunday, Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow said he was gratified by the court's decision.
"The decision makes it very clear in the eyes of our legal system that we, as we've said all along ... have done all of the changes that we've made through our process based on our own rules, regulations and bylaws," said Portnow.
"It seems to me that the court made it very clear that this (is) an issue for the Academy to resolve on a regular basis," he added.
The Academy announced last April that after a more than yearlong review, it had decided to trim its categories by 31, in part to make the awards more competitive. That meant eliminating categories by sex, so men and women compete in the same vocal categories.
But it also eliminated other niche categories and created broader ones. For example, instead of a best Latin jazz album, those musicians competed against a larger group of artists in the best jazz instrumental category.
read more at http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...er-grammy-cuts